How to Make Throw Pillow Covers
Throw pillows are one of the most popular items in any home, and for good reason – they’re comfortable and stylish. But making your own throw pillow covers can be a daunting task if you’re not familiar with sewing. In this article, we’re going to show you how to make a basic throw pillow cover using a simple pattern and some easy sewing techniques.
What is Throw Pillow Cover
If you want to add a pop of color or a unique focal point to your living space, consider buying a throw pillow cover. Throw pillow covers come in all shapes and sizes, so there’s sure to be one that will fit your style.
When selecting a throw pillow cover, keep in mind the size of your pillow. Most covers are designed to fit standard-sized pillows. If you have a large or extra-large pillow, choose a cover that is made for that type of pillow.
Some people prefer to buy throw pillow covers that match their existing furniture. If you have a modern couch, for example, buy a cover that is modern too. Alternatively, you can buy a cover that is more traditional in style and fits with any type of furniture.
Throw pillow covers come in all colors, so there’s sure to be one that will suit your mood and personality. Some covers are striped or have other patterns, while others are simple and plain. There are even funky prints available now. So whether you’re looking for something unique or classic, there’s likely a cover out there that will fit your needs.
Most throw pillow covers are make from cotton or polyester fabric. They’re easy to care for—just hand-wash them in cold water and gentle soap. You can also machine-wash them on low heat, but be sure to let them air dry first.
Benefits of Pillow Cover
A pillow cover is a great way to add a little bit of personality to your bed. They are also a great way to keep your pillows clean and protected. Here are some benefits of using a pillow cover:
- Pillow covers can protect your pillows from dust, pet hair and other allergens.
- Pillow covers can add personality to your bed. You can choose prints, patterns or colors that match your bedroom decor.
- Pillow covers can keep your pillows clean by preventing sweat and saliva from getting on them.
- Pillow covers can be used as a makeshift mattress protector.
- Pillow covers can be machine-washed and dried.
- Pillow covers can be replaced if they get dirty or lose their shape.
- Pillow covers can be a cost-effective way to add extra storage or style to your bed.
What You’ll Need
To make a throw pillow cover, you’ll need:
- A pillow case
- A throw pillow
- A fabric glue stick or hot glue gun
If the pillow has a zipper, unzip it before attaching the fabric. To attach the fabric, use a glue stick or hot glue gun and apply it to one side of the pillow case. Place the pillow inside the case and press down so that the fabric is glue to the case. Close the zipper and enjoy your new cover!
If the pillow doesn’t have a zipper, you can also attach the fabric by simply placing it over the pillow and pressing down.
How to Make the Pillow Cover
If you want to make a throw pillow cover for your pillow, you can do so easily by following these steps:
- Measure the circumference of your pillow’s outer casing. This will give you the total width and height of the cover.
- Cut out a piece of fabric that is the same width and height as your pillow’s casing, then fold it in half so that the raw ends are align. Pin the fabric to the casing, making sure that the folds are line up evenly.
- Sew along one long edge of the fabric, then turn it right-side out and press it down. Repeat this step with the other side of the fabric.
- Slip your newly make cover over your pillow, making sure that it is pin in place on both sides. Then machine-sew around the edges, making sure not to pull too tight or else you’ll end up with a seam where there shouldn’t be one!
Materials you’ll need
- Fabric for the cover
- Pillow form
- Iron or a steamer
- Start by cutting your fabric to size. You’ll need a rectangle that’s about 18 inches wide by 24 inches long. If you don’t have a pillow form, you can use something else like a piece of cardboard or foam core.
- Next, thread your needle and tie a knot in one end of the fabric. Make sure the knot is centered on the fabric so it will be symmetrical when you sew it down the middle. Now, sew the fabric down the middle of the rectangle, making sure to go back over the knot.
- Next, unfold your pillow form and place it on top of the seam you just created. Pin it in place and then sew around the edge of the form, making sure to leave a few inches open so you can turn it right side out later.
- Once you’ve sewn all around, turn the cover right side out and press it down flat with your iron or a steamer. Then, give it a final trimming if necessary and VOILA! You’ve created an easy and reversible cover for your pillow!
If you’ve been looking for a way to spruce up your living space without breaking the bank, look no further than throw pillow covers. They are an easy and affordable way to add personality and style to any room in your house, and they can be make in just about any shape or size you desire. If you’re feeling creative, why not design your own throw pillow cover? We have lots of free templates available online that will help get you start.